Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

Such a God Thing


Do you ever have those times in your life when you just know beyond a shadow of a doubt that that was all God? I had one of those Sunday and the goosebumps are still evidenced. This past week Nick and I were talking about our relationships with God. I was talking about my views and I said that being a Christian shouldn’t be about a long list of dos and don’ts but it is more of a relationship where you love God so much that your whole life is just infiltrated with him and you want to do everything to please him. I used the example of a marriage. I don’t do laundry and clean and stay faithful and cuddle because those are the rules and what you do when you are married, but I do those things because I love Nick and want to take care of him and make him happy. So yesterday we were in church and what example should the pastor use but the same stinking thing. I know that was like a lightening bolt to me. Because its true. We should love God so much that all we want to do is make him happy. We don’t want to upset him or frustrate him. It shouldn’t seem like a long list of rules of things to do, things to stay away and the such. Loving God just consumes your life and suddenly those things that seemed to hard to avoid and not do before just aren’t that big of a deal. My biggest problem sometimes is gossiping, specifically about people that I work with. I catch myself and think, oh Emma might hear me. But Emma is small and God is immense and can hear my words, and knows the thoughts in my mind, and the troubles on my heart. I desire to make Him happy because I love Him, not because I feel I have to.
Pin It!

2 comments:

1stopmom said...

Wow, that is such a really good post. It really touched me. I was wondering if I could put your post on the front page of my website? It is so inspiring that I would love to share it with others. I would the proper credit to you and your blog. My site is www.1stopmom.com
Again, thanks for thought provoking post. It is exactly what I needed.

Peter said...

great post - very encouraging, and it is a similar realization that I've had recently. We shouldn't do good works for some sort of reward, or think we're getting to heaven because of our good works. We only get to heaven through faith in Jesus Christ. But as an extension of our faith we should want to be doing good works. Because we love our savior so much and are so thankful for what he's done for us - we live out our faith through good works to spread his name.